Monday, August 2, 2010

Philosophy for the Every Person

I with to study philosophy because I believe it would bring about a shift of how I live my life, and if not that significance, perhaps the reason I live my life. Even if I do everything the same as I do now, study of philosophy would allow me to be more purposeful and have more intent on what I am doing. Have reason behind every mechanical motion, if you will.

I used to think philosophy was very highfalutin (ok, I was just being ironic that highfalutin in itself sounds like a pompous word). Ok, what I mean is philosophy seemed to be for the snotty, egotistical person. But after reading more of philosophy it really is not. It is discovering your true self, and what you mean to yourself and the world you live in. Surely there is no divide that everyone want to know why they are, what they are, who they are, how they came to be. Well, at any rate I do.

For instance, I wondered why I felt bad when my room was messy. And after cleaning it, I felt better. And one possible reason is this. The human mind have this natural state of wanting to order things, to link things, relate the cause and effect. So a chaotic environment is very difficult to comprehend for the human mind. Thus arranging things neat and tidy, removes a strain from your mind. So yes, a tidy room makes me feel less 'messy' in my head.

So philosophy I do not think only concerns with abstract ideas that are ideal. It also gives reason to actions and its understanding is imperative for living a fulfilling life.

I am absolutely a thinker. I study mechanical engineering with the sole purpose of understanding nature, as I thought the understanding of the language of nature is the key to a deeper appreciation for this world. How it works, will give meaning to why I am here. And that is partly true.

I have just read that sciences have roots in philosophy where the earliest thinkers can be split into two types. One group who were concerned with the 'meaning' of nature and another which was interested with the interaction of people and their structure and organizations. The first group is called natural philosophers and the second is political philosophy. I did not understand this distinction until now.

The study of physics, chemistry, biology as we know them today is borne of natural philosophy. It is satisfying to me that I a m now contributing to this area. But also I believe I need to understand political philosophy, as nature today is even more influenced by politics and the policy makers than ever. So to make informed decisions and have the correct awareness in society means being well-informed in the area of nature and what is 'real'.

No comments:

Post a Comment